AIMP Forum

AIMP for PC => Вопросы / Questions => Topic started by: dewen on September 05, 2026, 10:14:07

Title: Portable setup issue: Playlists disappear or reset to empty on different compute
Post by: dewen on September 05, 2026, 10:14:07
Hi everyone,

I am trying to create a fully portable, plug-and-play AIMP pack using Windows 10 x32 and aimp_5.40.2726_w32_no-installer.zip.

My goal is to bundle my music library inside the AIMP folder structure (e.g., C:\Users\dewen\Downloads\AIMP\music\), so that when the folder is unzipped on any computer, it can be played immediately regardless of the destination path (such as D:\Tools\AIMP\ or a USB drive).

The Issue:
Every time I set up the Music Library and add tracks to a playlist, it works fine on the original PC. However, when I move/unzip the folder to a different computer where the directory path changes:

The original playlist either completely disappears or turns into a new, blank playlist.

The file paths in the library/playlist seem bound to absolute paths (e.g., hardcoded to C:\Users\dewen\...).

My Questions:

How can I force AIMP to use relative paths for playlists and the Music Library (e.g., relative to %AIMP% or .\music\) so they load automatically across different path environments?

Are there specific configuration files (like AIMP.ini or portable profile settings) I need to edit to prevent AIMP from re-initializing or wiping playlists when it detects a new directory path on another machine?

Any guidance on how to properly set up a portable "lazy pack" with relative paths would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Title: Re: Portable setup issue: Playlists disappear or reset to empty on different compute
Post by: Artem on September 07, 2026, 13:02:17
Every time I set up the Music Library and add tracks to a playlist, it works fine on the original PC. However, when I move/unzip the folder to a different computer where the directory path changes:

The player can only function fully in portable mode if it is installed on a portable storage device (USB flash drive).
The music library indexes files relative to the root of the drive (without being tied to its letter), but if you change the nesting level, the file paths will break.

I suggest to store app with your music to USB drive, for example:
Z:\Music\
Z:\AIMP\

Next, just plug-in the USB-drive to PC and use the player. Not need to zip/unzip the files and copy them between PCs.
Title: Re: Portable setup issue: Playlists disappear or reset to empty on different compute
Post by: dewen on September 08, 2026, 16:04:04
Understand ! Thank you !